Monday, March 15, 2010

Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with cabbage for dinner



When I was growing up I preferred raw vegetables over cooked so my grandmother left a wedge or two for me when she made a dish of cabbage. Last year I went to an authentic Irish dinner at the church I worked for that served delicious potatoes, unlike anything I had previously eaten in my life. This year I will make my family that dish called colcannon potatoes. I got this recipe from “Taste of Home Holiday”. Dear son will be cooking up a traditional corned beef with cabbage as well. Dear daughter has some special request too, so we will be trying more new recipes.
Speaking of her, she had her first shipment of Avon come in and it’s like Christmas! I’m so excited about her business taking off here and her website is doing well too.
My scrapbook layout was picked at the Scrap Attack Scrapbook site so I am Star for the Day today! I used one of the photos I scanned and cleaned up. The tulle seems to have been the key element. Over the weekend trip to JoAnn’s Fabric to pick up a sheet of foam padding for the breakfast nook seat I spotted this soft shade of tulle the lady ahead of me was having cut. On a whim, thinking it might look great on a scrapbook page, I picked up a yard for me. Glad I did. The tulle worked perfectly for the challenge to use one of the “old words” from the Irish and to add a shamrock to the page. Although the sparkly shamrock really doesn’t show well in the photograph, it is a nice little touch to the page. I used a heart stamp, applied it three times with Stampin’ Up craft celery ink, coated with Heat & Stick, then sprinkled with Dazzling Diamonds.
Will you be having any special foods Wednesday? I’d love to hear about your recipes and any special activities. Remember, the folks in Ireland don’t really drink green beer - the pubs are usually closed because it is a religious holiday to celebrate the spread of Christianity by St. Patrick. But, here in America anything goes!
May the luck of the Irish be with you as you enjoy St. Patty’s Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment