Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Alligators in the canal

One large (around 8 feet) and 2 small alligators have been spotted in the canal behind our house. When family and friends reported this to me I took my bike down from the hook in the garage, grabbed my camera and tripod. I saw the big one on two occasions.
For the first appearance I only saw the tip of the nostrils and the eyes, but you can see the size of the head just under the water. A little later after others had left I spotted her again. This time I got much more of her head and saw some of her back.



It was now late afternoon and the sun was ready to set. She dived and I booked it out of there. Not that I was afraid, mind you, just didn't want to have her think I might be part of her supper.

3 comments:

  1. Hi from a fellow Floridian! ;D I'm in Palm Harbor, FYI. Found you through the 52 Weeks of Blogging Your Passion forums.

    Nice to see someone else who likes the gators. We do have a pond in our condo complex, but we don't have any gators in it (that I've seen, at least). Just some wading birds and turtles, and occasional ducks. Probably for the best; people tend to get edgy when there are gators around. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures! We always go to the gator farm and feed them! My boys LOVE them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMgosh!!! Those gator pic are so so great!!!

    ReplyDelete